As the COVID-19 pandemic sweeps through the world, many people are finding themselves working from ‘home’ in an often quickly assembled home office.
Millions of people, including a large number of Monaco residents, are having to adjust to an alternative working life as lock-down becomes the new norm. In many cases, bijoux apartments with little outside space have almost overnight become the school classroom, the gym, the restaurant and the home office, all in one.
It’s not an ideal situation for anyone, but there are positives to be taken from this unprecedented period: no commute, no unnecessary overseas trips, and a chance to help the children with their homework, to name but a few.
However, if you are really struggling for space, and hanker after the privacy of your usual Monaco office, here are some guidelines to help you set up the perfect home office in your apartment.
1. Change the layout of your living room by placing your desk directly under a window, which will open up the room and make it feel airy and light. It will also mean that you have a great view when you’re working.
2. Get yourself a slim desk or a wrap-around corner station, which you will hardly notice until you sit down and start working. The desk only needs to have a large enough space to put a laptop, which can be as little as 20 inches.
3. Find a chair that tucks in neatly under the desk so that when you have finished work, it is carefully out of the way. Make sure that this chair provides enough support for your back while working.
4. If you have not got enough space in the living room for your home office, fix a desk to the entry hall wall. If there is no room here for a standing desk, find a folding desk, which lies flat against the wall when it is not being used.
5. Another brilliant idea is to turn a large closet or walk-in wardrobe into your personal Monaco office. It will need to be a deep closet, and you will have to get the lighting right, but the beauty of this option is that when you have finished working, you can shut the door.
6. If you don’t have a large enough wardrobe but like the idea of closing the door when you clock off, hang a curtain that you can pull across your working space at the end of the day.
7. Attach shelves on the wall above or below your desk for storage. Opt for simple designs to keep your home office uncluttered and it will look less cramped.
8. Make sure you find a way to tame the cables and hide away all the extension leads, ensuring everything is kept neat and tidy.
No matter how well you set up your home office, most of us will still crave a return to normalcy eventually. La Costa Properties has a number of properties with Monaco office space for rent; for more information or to talk to one of our experts about renting space once the COVID-19 crisis has passed, please contact La Costa Properties Monaco.
To read more on topics like this, check out the Lifestyle category.